I am a cognitive neuroscientist and the head of the Molecular Cognition Laboratory in The Basque Country (Spain). In the lab we seek to identify the molecular and synaptic mechanisms underlying learning and memory, cognitive malfunction and cognitive enhancement. Among my achievements are publications in Nature Neuroscience (2010, 2016), PLoS Biology (2012), EMBO Journal (2010) and Cerebral Cortex (2009, 2011). I was also awarded several prizes: The Sieratzki Prize for Advances in Neuroscience (2012) and Alzheimer’s Association Young Investigator Award (2013) and I was elected as the “Woman of the Year in Medicine” (2016). I have also edited a book titled “Cognitive Enhancement: Pharmacologic, Environmental and Genetic Factors” (Elsevier, 2015).
When I served as a member of the EBBS executive committee (2013-2017) I have contributed to the society in several aspects:
- Organization of the EBBS conference in Bilbao (2017).
- Organizing a joint EBBS-EMCCS satellite event at the FENS meeting in Copenhagen (2016).
- Organizing for the first time a Best Poster Competition during the EBBS meeting in Bilbao.
- Generation of a new, modern website.
- Making an automatic election system through the website.
- Making an automatic membership payment through the website including payment with PayPal.
- Ordering of the new EBBS logo.
- Organizing a Special Plenary Lecture by Prof. John Aggleton at the meeting of the Spanish Neuroscience Society in Granada (2015), to enhance the visibility of the EBBS conference in Bilbao.
My mission as the president of the EBBS would be to extend EBBS’ activity by organizing more scientific events in the area of behavioral neuroscience. In addition I will act to strengthen the collaboration with other scientific societies with common interests (e.g., Molecular and Cellular Cognition Society). I will act to give more travel fellowships to students, to attend our scientific meetings. Finally, I will act to enhance the visibility of the EBBS by sponsoring lectures in local neuroscience meetings.
- 2005 Medical Doctor (MD), Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (Israel).
- 2004 PhD in Neuroscience, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (Israel).
Experience in management
- 2017 – Member of the panel of neurological disorders, Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (Spain).
- 2016 – Department head: Cell, System and Organism Biophysics (Biophysics Institute).
- 2013 – 2017 Executive committee member, European Brain and Behavior Society (EBBS).
- 2013 – 2016 Member of the Spanish Panel for Neuro-Enhancement, European project NERRI (Neuro Enhancement: Responsible Research and Innovation, 7th Framework Programme).
Activities as a reviewer for funding agencies
- Human Brain Project.
- Alzheimer’s Association.
- ERC, European Research Council, European Commission.
- Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships, European Commission.
- Israel Science Foundation.
- ANEP (National Agency for Evaluation and Prospective, Spain).
- Alzheimer’s Society.
- Foundation for Polish Science
- Martine Ammassari-Teule, EBBS President 2013-14
- Bruno Pucet, EBBS President 2015-17